Skip to main content
Working in EuropeRecognition of diplomasHungary

Recognition of diplomas



The recognition of scientific degrees issued by a foreign higher education institution falls within the authority of those Hungarian higher education institutions which are entitled to offer PhD training and award scientific degrees in the field of study testified by the foreign degree. During this procedure the higher education institution examines whether the degree issued abroad is equivalent to a PhD or DLA degree obtainable in Hungary. The nostrification is done by the university chosen by the applicant, it is not a prerequisite to have the level of the qualification recognised. (Nevertheless, it is possible to request the recognition of the level testified by the foreign scientific degree from the Hungarian ENIC. See documents required for the recognition below.)


If an international agreement stipulates so, the Doctoral Committee of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences decides on the nostrification of scientific degrees. The degrees of "Candidate of Science" obtained abroad may be considered here.