There are lots of language centres, both public and non-public, with Hungarian lectors and academic schools for foreigners in Hungary. Universities usually organise different types of Hungarian language (and culture) courses for foreigners of which you can get more information in advance of the international office of the institute.
However, the most efficient way to learn a language is to be in direct contact with speakers of the target language. So, if you aren’t an extrovert already become one! Go out and meet some Hungarians - they are very friendly people and it’s fun to hear Hungarian spoken in the company of foreigners. If you would like to take a language course, there are many places where you can give it a go. Believe us, it’s worth it!
List of the most prominent Hungarian language courses in Budapest:
Balassi Institute - http://www.balassiintezet.hu/en/hungarian-language-courses/
Eötvös Loránd University - https://www.elte.hu/en/language-courses/hungarian
Ulysses Hungarian Language School - http://www.ulysses.co.hu/en/
Hungarian Language School - http://www.magyar-iskola.hu/
List of the most prominent Hungarian language courses in the countryside:
Debrecen, Euro Language School http://debrecen.euro-nyelviskola.hu/magyar-hungarian.html
Győr, Euro Language School http://gyor.euro-nyelviskola.hu/magyar-hungarian.html
Miskolc, Language Teaching Centre of Miskolc University
Pécs, Euro Language School http://pecs.euro-nyelviskola.hu/magyar-hungarian.html
Pécs, University of Pécs - http://www.isc.pte.hu/menu/28/22
Szeged, Euro Language School - http://szeged.euro-nyelviskola.hu/magyar-hungarian.html
Szeged, Bonus Language School - http://szeged.bonusnyelviskola.hu/hungarian-courses-in-szeged
- Let’s Learn Hungarian Podcast http://www.letslearnhungarian.net/
- Magyaróra free materials http://www.magyarora.com/english/index.html
- Beginner’s Hungarian Dictionary https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginners-Hungarian-Dictionary-Helen-Davies/dp/9633462207/
- Lonely Planet Hungarian Phrasebook http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/hungary/hungarian-phrasebook-2/
- Teach Yourself Hungarian Book + CD https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yourself-Hungarian-Complete-Package-Language/dp/007141892X
- Duolingo language app – Hungarian https://en.duolingo.com/course/hu/en/Learn-Hungarian-Online
- Memrise app – Hungarian http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/hungarian/
- 36 Useful Hungarian Phrases http://welovebudapest.com/budapest.and.hungary/36.useful.hungarian.phrases.for.varied.occasions.in.budapest
Hungarian began to develop as a distinct language approximately 2,000 years ago in the Ural mountains and arrived to the Carpathian Basin, the present-day area of Hungary around 900 AD. Hungarian language is written using the Latin alphabet since the 13th century AD.
Loanwords from the Iranian, Turkish, German and Slavic languages can be found in the Hungarian language; however, the core vocabulary still derives from the language’s Finno-Ugric roots.
Hungarian language grammar and phonology have also retained typical Uralic language characteristics.
A number of dialects exist within the Hungarian language, but they are all closely related and for the most part mutually intelligible. Now the Hungarian language is spoken primarily in Hungary, where it serves as the official language, as well as in parts of Slovakia, Romania and Serbia. It is also spoken by a small number of Hungarian immigrant groups scattered throughout the world, notably in the United States – the number of Hungarian speakers amounts to approx. 15 million.