ORGANISATION NAMEZukunftskolleg University of Konstanz
RESEARCH FIELDFormal sciencesHumanitiesNatural sciencesProfessions and applied sciencesSocial sciences
CAREER STAGEFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)Recognised Researcher (R2) (PhD holders or equivalent who are not yet fully independent)
The Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships support early career researchers from Africa, Asia and Latin America related to one of the thirteen departments of the University of Konstanz. As ZUKOnnect Fellow, you can use this time to extend your research networks and to get to know the research environment at the University of Konstanz, without losing your ties to your home university. As these fellowships can build a first bridge to the German and European academic system, we also encourage doctoral students in their last year to apply. The Zukunftskolleg will not offer employment contracts for ZUKOnnect Fellows.
Up to 4 (post-)doctoral stipends for an on-campus research stay at the Zukunftskolleg are available for up to 3 months (with justification for up to 4 months). The start date is between 1 September 2021 and 1 October 2021. The on-site stipends are complemented by a digital fellowship extending it to a 12-month ZUKOnnect Fellowship.
- During the on-campus research stay, a stipend of € 1,200/month for doctoral students and € 2,000/month for postdoctoral researchers (following DAAD guidelines)
- Standard expenses for one economy-class trip to Konstanz and back
- The chance to participate in events organized by the Zukunftskolleg
- Access to library resources
- Access to IT services
- Access to research support services (via Research Support)
- After the on-campus research stay at the Zukunftskolleg, ZUKOnnect Fellows will benefit from a digital fellowship extending the total funding period to 12 months. The digital fellowship will be remunerated with € 100/month.
- You will live in Konstanz or nearby throughout the on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowship (the Welcome Centre at the University of Konstanz will support you with all organizational aspects of relocating to Konstanz).
- You will actively contribute to the interdisciplinary dialogue at the Zukunftskolleg during weekly Jour fixe meetings (in the semester).
- You will interact with fellows and researchers in relevant departments at the University of Konstanz.
- You will give a presentation in a seminar or a public lecture.
- You will acknowledge the Zukunftskolleg’s support in any publications resulting from the stay.
- You will write a short report on your activities and achievements (within 6 months of completing your ZUKOnnect Fellowship).
- You were born AND work in a country in Latin America, Asia or Africa.
- You hold a doctorate (max. 2 years of postdoctoral experience) OR are a doctoral student in your last year.
- Your academic education was completed at a university in Latin America, Asia or Africa (see FAQs for details).
- You do not hold a permanent professorship, nor do you have a habilitation or equivalent qualification (Venia legendi).
- Your research project should tie in with one of the disciplines represented at the University of Konstanz.
- You should name a researcher at the University of Konstanz with whom you intend to collaborate (no need to contact person(s) in advance).
- Preference will be given to applicants who plan to team up with one of our current Zukunftskolleg Fellows.
Please submit your application documents in English as PDF files via our online application portal. The reference number is 2020/232. Applications should include:
- A letter of motivation (including your objectives for the research stay at the Zukunftskolleg and an explanation of how your research ties in with the research landscape at the university) (maximum 2 pages)
- Short description or summary of your current research project (maximum 3 pages incl. bibliography)
- A detailed work and time plan for your on-campus research stay
- Your curriculum vitae
- Relevant certificates (doctoral certificate OR a letter from your doctoral supervisor confirming the status of your doctoral thesis)
- One academic letter of reference, on official letterhead paper and signed by the respective reviewer
More information is available online, where you will also find an extensive FAQ document. Further questions can be directed to Daniela Kromrey via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: (+ 49 (0)7531 88–5686). If the budget situation permits, the Zukunftskolleg can grant financial support for family members who accompany the ZUKOnnect Fellows during the scholarship.
We look forward to receiving your application, including all required documents, until 24 February 2021 (15:00 CET).
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.